the dump's sportslog - baseball analysis

3.04.2004
GM offseason recaps
 
Over the course of the next month or so, I'm going to attempt to crudely recap the winters of each of the 29 GMs in the league who have been in place for most of the offseason (Dodgers GM Paul DePodesta hasn't had a chance to do much yet).

This blog is written by two college students with no qualifications. We've done a lot of reading about the game, we've watched a lot of games, and we've developed strong opinions over the course of 21 years, but we're a long, long way from experts. I'm sure I don't need to point that out. Because this isn't my job, there are an awful lot of things I don't know...and that includes some of the roster movement rules as well as some of the more obscure players involved in various transactions. Naturally, I do the best I can in terms of acquiring what knowledge and information I can before I put anything out there for public consumption, but I'm fallible.

I've spent a little while during this hiatus (our last post was 2/24) putting together a list of the transactions made by each GM during this offseason (for a number of reasons), and hope to present them in this space with comments. This certainly isn't meant as anything more than a one stop glance at how teams have changed, but I hope it'll prove useful or at least interesting to you.

There are many minor moves (like shuffling players or management around within an organization) that I've chosen to omit here. If I'm missing anything major, please let me know. My focus going into this was to look at who's coming into and out of each organization, and who's being retained. Spring training invites are also included, as well as a few other things. But you'll see. Obviously, the offseason isn't over, so I hope to update these as we go.

Without much further ado, I'm going to present this in GM alphabetical order, starting later this afternoon with Allard Baird of the Kansas City Royals. Please get back to me with any questions and/or comments, good or bad. Hope you find it useful.

-