the dump's sportslog - baseball analysis

1.28.2004
A terrific piece of work
 
I certainly can't promise this much content everyday (though we do hope to have more like this one and less when we've got nothing for you), but my Pistons beat the Celtics tonight and I'm in a good mood. (We also added a "Comment" feature to this site today, which we hope you'll make use of.)

For awhile now, I've wanted to see a compilation of all transactions (whether those are trades or signings or any other way that players move from one organization to another) for the purposes of being able to fully analyze the work of a front office. Clearly I could have started such a compilation with teams as they bring in new regimes, but it seems like it'd be an immense undertaking needing constant attention - and that's not even considering the work that'd be necessary to backtrack and go over all the moves that have already been made. The information is out there, and it's a beautiful dream of mine to see it all in one, relatively easy to access and analyze place. For now though, it's just a dream.

But tonight I came across something awfully exciting. While it's not precisely what I've envisioned (and of course, done nothing to make happen), Leigh Sprague has put together the Blue Jays All-Time Annotated Trade Catalogue and posted it (it's divided into five parts, three have been posted thus far) at the wonderful Batter's Box site. I'll let you all go over there and check it out for yourselves (it's something to behold), but basically: it's every trade Toronto's ever made, with relevant statistics and commentary. I can only imagine how much time and work went into putting it together. From afar, Leigh Sprague, we thank you and can only hope others follow your lead.

-