the dump's sportslog - baseball analysis

6.28.2003

 
A few comments on today's action...

- It's been a terrific Yankee day, even we only focus on their own play. While I realize I'm probably jinxing him for the rest of the evening, Brandon Claussen has been good so far in his first major league start, having now pitched five scoreless innings, allowing five hits and a walk while striking out four. I'm in Worcester, Massachusetts at the moment and MLB.TV won't let me watch the game...but at least statistically, early indicators are good. The Yanks won the early game in today's home-and-home doubleheader as well, with Hideki Matsui playing the big hitting star and Roger Clemens pitching eight good innings for his 301st career victory. Sure, it's only the Mets and the Devil Rays, but I'll take the six wins in a row.

- The success of the Yankees is enhanced a great deal by today's failure of the Blue Jays, and more significantly, the Red Sox. Leading 9-2 heading into the 8th inning, Boston gave it all back and a little more, culminating with Mike Lowell's three run homer (his 25th, a new career high) off Brandon Lyon to give the Marlins a 10-9 lead that Braden Looper would close out.

- I happened to be watching the Red Sox game on Friday night, and it was pretty unbelievable. As awed as I was by the offensive explosion (I can't remember ever seeing 25 runs scored in a game by one team) and the inability of Marlin pitching to get outs, the Red Sox laid it on pretty thick. I generally feel that you can't have enough runs these days (tonight in Boston being a fine example) and you can't ask guys not to try as hard as they can...but that doesn't mean it's a good idea for Bill Mueller to try to score from second on Johnny Damon's shallow first inning single to left with the team already up 14-1 (he was thrown out by about 30 feet, mercifully ending the inning). The Marlins, very professionally, didn't retaliate or anything, but it had to feel good to beat the Sox embarrassingly where they were shown up less than 24 hours previously.

- I've become a huge admirer of Vin Scully lately (I know, I'm a little late to the party), and have been watching a lot of Dodger games as a result. I'm watching Dodgers-Angels right now, and tuned in hoping it'd be a Scully telecast...only to find to my horror that, instead of Scully, my ears were to be affronted with the mind-numbing blather of Rex Hudler. There are a lot of bad announcers, so I try not to complain much about them in this space...but something about "Hud" makes me want to rip my ears off.

-