the dump's sportslog - baseball analysis

11.19.2003

 
First "Major" Signing?


Rarely do we actually "break" news here at TDS (though I think I was pretty early on Ramirez being on waivers...) but there's a rumor circulating that Raul Ibanez is headed back to Seattle - for about $13 million over three years.

Of course, we're not actually breaking it, as I'm not a real reporter, and I'm clearly taking the story from Yahoo! - but you know what I mean.

This is a great move for Seattle. He's the kind of player I want on my team. He's going to take some heat going from a hitters park to a pitchers park, but his power and on base numbers probably won't take that big of a hit. He'll also have better hitters around him, so he might score more and drive more guys in. Comically, his best numbers outside of Kansas City are at Safeco, where he hit three homers in eleven at bats. Thats not anywhere close to a sample size, but its always good to impress potential suitors.

Hopefully, Ibanez will provide some more lefty pop in the lineup and I wouldn't put a .300/25/100 season past him. For a little over $4m a year, thats a steal.

-