the dump's sportslog - baseball analysis

11.19.2003

 
Awards Recap


Both the AL and NL MVPs were announced this week and there were no surprises.

In fact, the judges probably did the best job they've done in any season.

Here's a snip of a conversation Matt and I had last night:

MEBarnard (7:19:11 PM): yeah, really can't argue about the award winners this year...the writers did a nice job.
the Daniel Stein (7:19:36 PM): of course you can, i argue about everything, but those are all good choices
MEBarnard (7:20:10 PM): you can argue about anything. but they did a much better job than usual.
the Daniel Stein (7:21:11 PM): yeah, nothing majorly terrible
MEBarnard (7:21:53 PM): I mean, the NL ROY is the worst. and even that's defensible.

We went on to discuss a few more things that we might put up later, but lets look at ESPN's "expert" poll. None of them got it all, but they were all relatively close. Buster Olney, for all I've ripped on him is the closest, missing only by choosing Matsui, but when you cover the Yankees everyday, its an honest mistake.

Elsewhere in the Blogosphere, Aaron Gleeman writes, Basically, I think the voters only completely screwed up one of the six awards this year (Brandon Webb!). Of course, whether or not you think "only" completely screwing up one out of six awards is a good thing is debatable, I guess.

But back to MVPs, there really was no question that Bonds and A-Rod were the best players in each league this season. A-Rod had a worse year than he had in seasons pasta, and took some heat because his team was terrible, but he really put on a show day in and day out.

As far as Bonds goes, if there is a league above the majors, call him up to it already. While we might talk later about him being the best of all time - which I feel a little silly commenting on, since I'm only 21 and never saw [Insert Name of Old Timey Favorite] play. Despite my move toward accepting hard stats as the only way of evaluating a player's talents on the field, I feel like the things you cannot measure are the things that cement them in your minds as "favorites."

My father always used to tell me about Willie Mays rounding first very wide on balls hit deep to right field. If the fielder wanted to be ballsy and try getting him to first, he'd rush to second and beat it out. It was a good way of keeping fielders on their toes. I think that was his second most told story, behind the Giants' loss in the 1962 World Series.

Anyway, I'm way off topic, but we'll be back later with some Oakland outfield analysis and other rumors.

-